Established in 2001, PeacePlayers is a peacebuilding nonprofit organization that uses sport as a vehicle to unite, educate and inspire young people living in divided communities. Based on the premise that “children who play together can learn to live together,” PeacePlayers has become a worldwide leader in the use of sport to build a more peaceful world, reaching more than 75,000 youth in 15 countries.
By offering equitable basketball programming, peace education, leadership development and professional training, PeacePlayers challenges the status quo of hatred and fear that grips societies in conflict – making cross-community cooperation desirable and giving young people practical skills to deal with conflict and grow into ambassadors for peace in their communities. The organization operates year-round programs in the Middle East, South Africa, Northern Ireland and Cyprus, internationally and Baltimore, MD, Brooklyn, NY, Chicago, IL, Detroit, MI and Los Angeles, CA in the United States.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
In January of 2017, PeacePlayers launched a new partnership with Nike to bring PeacePlayers’s proven model of uniting communities through sport to the U.S. This partnership will help mobilize young people across the United States who will show that if you can play together, you can live together.
PeacePlayers – Detroit will be hiring two Youth Development Basketball Coaches (B.C.) to support PeacePlayers’s efforts to run sport-based community programming in Detroit, Michigan. The BC position will be part time (approx. 15 hours per week) and report directly to PeacePlayers Detroit Project Coordinator. The BC will be responsible for leading basketball practices at PeacePlayer partner schools. The BC position will be for three months and be renewable entering into 2019
Key responsibilities and specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Plan and coach 3x weekly Middle School basketball sessions in line with PeacePlayers values and mission
- Assist in 2x weekly High school basketball sessions and 2x per month Saturday events
- Enter weekly attendance data for team
- Assist Project Coordinator and Operations Manager as necessary
- Work with Project Coordinators to create fun and educational sessions.
- Attend 1.5 hr. weekly coaches meeting
- Coaches will work in either Southwest or the Cody Rouge Neighborhood
- Work hours will be primarily after school hours (2:00 – 6:00 PM) during the week with weekend programming on Saturday’s (10:00am – 1:00pm)
- Build relationships with youth, school representatives and other community stakeholders
- Intimate knowledge of the local basketball environment
- 1-2 year experience basketball coaching
- Clear understanding of how basketball can be used to teach life skills
- Demonstrated passion for using sport as a tool for social change
- Knowledge of and/or experience in sport-based youth development philosophy
- Personal sporting experience at the high school or collegiate level preferred
- Ability to work independently
The Basketball Coach position is a part-time position for approx. 15 hours per week.
The Basketball Coach position will be based in Detroit, MI
To apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter to Jasmine Cooper at JCooper@PeacePlayersIntl.org with the subject header “Basketball Coach – Detroit.”
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. All applications should be submitted by Monday, September 10th at 11:59PM