Position Title: AmeriCorps Up2Us Coach
Name of Supervisor: Chineze Nwagbo
City/State: Baltimore, MD
Type of Position: Part-Time
Term Length: 900 Hours Over 1 Year
The Up2Us Sports AmeriCorps VISTA program aims to build the capacity of Up2Us Sports member organizations who run high-quality sports-based youth development programming in under-served communities. We are looking for an AmeriCorps Up2Us Coach to join us in our grassroots peacebuilding and youth development through basketball work in Baltimore. As an AmeriCorps Up2Us Coach at PeacePlayers Baltimore, you will help build out sports-based community programming for elementary, middle, and high school youth. You will also become a part of a global community of people who are passionate about the power of sports to unite communities all over the world.
PeacePlayers launched in 2001 with the belief that if youth could learn to play together, they could learn to live together. Our mission is to unite communities in conflict through sports; particularly the game of basketball. Nearly 20 years later, we operate five programs globally in Cyprus, South Africa, Northern Ireland, the Middle East and the United States. In 2017, PeacePlayers partnered with Nike to launch programming in the U.S. where we currently operate in Baltimore, MD; Brooklyn, NY; Chicago, IL; Detroit, MI; and Los Angeles, CA.
In the U.S., historical divides driven by who you are (race/cultural background) and where you are from (geography) have created an inequitable society. Baltimore has struggled to provide a sustainable path to success for its residents for decades. The drug epidemic coupled with other negative influences have contributed to disengaged communities on the East and West side of Baltimore. In addition, economic development often happens around but not within underserved communities contributing to limited quality resources for many youth and their families to reach their highest potential.
Through participation in PeacePlayers programs, youth develop the skills, attitudes and behaviors that enhance their ability to reduce conflict and find their voice as leaders.
As an AmeriCorps Up2Us Coach at PeacePlayers Baltimore, you will support our efforts to run sports-based community programming in Baltimore by:
- Supporting the Peace League (elementary/middle school age) and Leadership Development Program (high school age) through coaching and curriculum development
- Plan and assist in facilitating workshops & events
- Support with recruiting new PeacePlayers participants
MONITOR & EVALUATION
- Work with Monitor and Evaluation Specialist to develop systems to ensure effective and efficient data capture
- Ensure weekly attendance data is captured by coaches and entered into PeacePlayers Baltimore attendance database
- Support in PeacePlayers annual survey of Peace League and LDP youth
- Passion for the PeacePlayers mission
- Demonstrated passion for using sport as a tool for social change
- Knowledge of and/or experience in sport-based youth development philosophy
- Personal athletic experience at the high school or collegiate level (preferred)
- A love for the game of basketball and belief in the power of sport to educate and empower youth
- Comfortable with working in fast-paced environments as a team player with a positive attitude
- A vehement passion for coaching, building relationships with youth, partners, and stakeholders
- Must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or legal permanent resident alien of the United States
- Pass all necessary Federal and State background checks
- Must have, or be working toward, a High School diploma, GED or it’s equivalent
- Ability to commit to the required hours of Up2Us Coach service (900 over 1 year)
- At the completion of your year of service, you will receive either an Education award ($7,700) or an end-of-service stipend ($2,960)
- VISTAs receive on-the-job training as well as take part in PeacePlayers and Up2Us Sports training and professional development
- Sports-Based Youth Development Certification
- 10 personal days and 10 sick days in addition to organizational holidays, and may be eligible for relocation allowance and student loan forbearance
To apply for this position, send a resume and cover letter to Chineze Nwagbo (email@example.com) with “PeacePlayers Baltimore – AmeriCorps Up2Us Coach” in the subject line. Application for this position closes on December 11th, 2020.Americorps Up2Us Coach PeacePlayers Baltimore