Title: Development and Communications Manager
Reports to: Head of US Strategy & Operations
Posted: May 2021
Established in 2001, PeacePlayers is an international peacebuilding nonprofit organization that uses sport, primarily basketball, as a vehicle to unite, educate and inspire young people living in divided communities. Based on the premise that children who play together can learn to live together, PeacePlayers has become a worldwide leader in the use of sport to build a more peaceful world, reaching more than 75,000 youth in 20 countries.
At PeacePlayers, our vision is to foster individual and communal connections that create a more peaceful world. The world we live in today has far too many divides – whether racial, religious, ethnic or geographic – and these divisions have created an environment of conflict and instability in our local communities. In partnership with local leaders, we support young people on opposite sides of these divides by using sport as a vehicle to strengthen their leadership and peacebuilding skills to show that we are all more alike than different. We stay with them for the long-term to work towards a more peaceful society for us all – currently operating in nine year-round sites: the Middle East, South Africa, Northern Ireland, Cyprus, as well as five cities in the U.S. – Baltimore, Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit and Los Angeles.
It is the policy of PeacePlayers to provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. PeacePlayers evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
The Development and Communications Manager is responsible for helping to build and implement a US-wide communications plan, while also supporting key development activities including but not limited to proposal writing, reporting and prospecting. A significant portion of this position will be spent on managing PeacePlayers United States social media accounts and website, and writing for grant proposals and storytelling. This position is a member of the US team, reports to PeacePlayers’ Head of US Strategy and Operations and works closely with each of the cities’ site Directors. The position requires strong writing skills and will be providing support and technical expertise to staff across the country. In addition, this position requires the employee to operate within the three core values of PeacePlayers – Seeing People as People, Inside Out Transformation and a Culture of Collaboration.
KEY DEVELOPMENT RESPONSIBILITIES (70%)
- Grant writing and reporting to a range of donors and partners, including foundations, government, individuals, etc.
- Researching potential funding sources and cultivating new prospects according to development plan
- Work closely with the development team to create and implement an annual development plan.
- Support city Directors in managing prospect lists and data entry into PeacePlayers’ CRM, Network for Good, on a monthly basis
- Managing and maintaining relationships with existing donors, including creating a calendar and collateral for on-going updates
- Representing the organization’s fundraising interests with donors, potential partners etc. in a variety of setting
- Organizing and tracking donor information, including deadlines for proposals, reporting and other contractual obligations
KEY COMMUNICATIONS RESPONSIBILITIES (30%)
- Lead the development and implementation of an annual US marketing and communications strategy.
- Build a communications calendar to guide the strategy throughout the year while continuously updating and adjusting the strategy to meet current needs, trends and opportunities.
- Manage PeacePlayers US social web editorial content and organize multiple internal and external sources to generate content daily.
- Management and design of the US page of PeacePlayers International website.
- Management of external collateral production and design while serving as liaison to creative agencies.
- Work directly with Programs and Learning team to drive how data translates to external pitch decks and materials used for marketing and communications activities.
- Ongoing content capturing, to be adapted to multiple audiences and platforms; Creating marketing materials, such as newsletters and brochures, and managing social media, and blogs.
- Monitor trends in the social web space and make recommendations on ways to increase the use of social media in the organization.
- Collect success stories and testimonials from youth participants for internal and external sharing.
- Manage photo and video assets for the US program, maintaining a relevant and organized library.
- Maintaining contact with city Directors and other relevant staff to collect stories, reports and other relevant information; Attend activities at least twice per month to build relationships with participants and staff, to report and photograph activities.
- Create monthly reports on social media/web usage and trends to be analyzed for impact in overall marketing efforts; Track and report on the impact of the social media efforts to utilize relevant data to adjust strategy accordingly.
- Work directly with Directors of US sites on a daily basis to develop messaging and story-telling opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in development, writing and/or communications
- Proven strong writer.
- Experience in prospecting, cultivating and stewardship
- Demonstrable experience in leveraging social media to drive traffic or achieve tangible goals, online marketing, or related experience.
- Understanding and/or previous experience in non-profits is a plus.
- Strong project management and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Proficient in collecting and analyzing data to make recommendations on content and tactics.
- Experience working in Network for Good or a similar donor management platform.
- Well organized with outstanding verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Work effectively with international staff in a team setting.
- Asset: Passion for and/or experience in racial equity, youth development etc.
The PeacePlayers Development and Communications Manager position is a full-time salaried position with benefits, including health insurance and an employer retirement plan matching program. Salary range for this position is $60,000-70,000. The Communications and Development Manager will be working within the United States but location is flexible.
To apply for this position, please email a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to PeacePlayers United States at email@example.com with the subject header “Development and Communications Manager.” All applications for the position should be submitted by May 31, 2021.Development and Communications Manager – PeacePlayers United States