Established in 2001, PeacePlayers is an international peacebuilding nonprofit organization that uses sport, primarily basketball, as a vehicle to unite, educate and inspire young people living in divided communities. Based on the premise that children who play together can learn to live together, PeacePlayers has become a worldwide leader in the use of sport to build a more peaceful world, reaching more than 75,000 youth in 20 countries.
At PeacePlayers, our vision is to foster individual and communal connections that create a more peaceful world. The world we live in today has far too many divides – whether racial, religious, ethnic or geographic – and these divisions have created an environment of conflict and instability in our local communities. In partnership with local leaders, we support young people on opposite sides of these divides by using sport as a vehicle to strengthen their leadership and peacebuilding skills to show that we are all more alike than different. We stay with them for the long-term to work towards a more peaceful society for us all – currently operating in nine year-round sites: the Middle East, South Africa, Northern Ireland, Cyprus, as well as five cities in the U.S. – Baltimore, Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit and Los Angeles.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
In January of 2017, PeacePlayers launched a partnership with Nike to bring PeacePlayers’ proven model of uniting communities through sport to the United States. This partnership piloted growth in 2017 first to Baltimore, Brooklyn and Detroit, and then in the summer of 2018 added programs in Chicago and Los Angeles, with the intention of eventually launching an additional program in Portland (OR).
The Director of PeacePlayers Brooklyn will have a deep understanding of the Brooklyn community (current programming takes place in Brownsville), outstanding management and fundraising skills and will be responsible for overseeing the strategic direction of PeacePlayers Brooklyn and adhering to PeacePlayers 10 Unifying Principles. The Director will work closely with the US Leadership team and Brooklyn Program Manager, local partners, coaches, and his/her peers across other PeacePlayers locations. The Director will need to be both entrepreneurially driven and capable of being a team player, recognizing that their success will be dependent on the empowerment of their staff and the youth the program serves.
Leadership and Strategy:
- Collaborate closely with PeacePlayers-U.S. to develop a multi-year PeacePlayers U.S. and PeacePlayers Brooklyn strategy focused on financial sustainability and programmatic excellence that is in line with the PeacePlayers Global Strategic Plan.
- Support PeacePlayers Brooklyn Program Manager in the running of an efficient and effective program, the evaluation of that program, and overseeing of part time coaching staff
- Responsible for maintaining communication with other PeacePlayers sites—domestic and international—PeacePlayers U.S. office, and PeacePlayers Global support team; to share learnings and best practices for the good of PeacePlayers as a whole
- Identify and strategically partner with organizations and institutions to deepen, sustain and scale PeacePlayers’ programmatic impact across Brooklyn.
- Adherence to PeacePlayers’ unifying principles. These “unifying principles” ensure all PeacePlayers’ sites are similar enough to each other to achieve the shared mission of the organization and also afford the flexibility for local leaders in each site to innovate and make contextually driven decisions for the greatest overall impact.
Fundraising and Development:
- Work closely with PeacePlayers U.S. Head of Strategy and Operations, Director of US Programs & Partnerships and PeacePlayers Global Support Team to understand the current PeacePlayers’ financial landscape, existing donor base and to identify opportunities for incremental support in Brooklyn.
- Responsible for the development and expansion of local fundraising activities to support existing program operations and expansion.
- Collaborate with PeacePlayers Global Support team and U.S. staff to effectively steward existing NYC focused donors and build a pipeline of future supporters of PeacePlayers work in the U.S.
Financial Performance and Operations:
- Responsible for budgeting and fiscal management of PeacePlayers Brooklyn
- Responsible for key Human Resources functions such as ensuring PeacePlayers Child Protection and Abuse Policy are followed; local staff are onboarded and trained effectively and provided ongoing support from US Leadership and the PeacePlayers Global Support Team.
- A demonstrated passion and connection to the mission of PeacePlayers to unite divided communities through sport and its values of seeing people as people, culture of collaboration and inside out transformation.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and not afraid to get involved in all aspects of the organization and programming in Brooklyn
- Possesses an understanding and passion for addressing challenges created by inequity across racial and socioeconomic divides in the United States and in Brooklyn specifically.
- A belief in the inherent strengths of young people to actualize their greatest potential despite challenges and adversity, and positively impact society
- 5+ years of management experience with a track record of effectively leading a scaling program or nonprofit
- Successful track record of developing and stewarding individual donors ($15,000+) and developing corporate partnerships
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience cultivating new fundraising relationships, managing current funder relationships and/or planning fundraising events
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performing teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and oversee a budget
- An understanding of how sport can be used as a transformational development tool; interest and experience in basketball also helpful.
The Director of PeacePlayers Brooklyn position is a full-time salaried position with benefits, including health insurance and an employer retirement plan matching program. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The Director of PeacePlayers Brooklyn position is based in New York City.
To apply for this position, please email a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to PeacePlayers at email@example.com with the subject header “Director of PeacePlayers Brooklyn.” All applications for the position should be submitted by April 30th, 2021.
It is the policy of PeacePlayers to provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. PeacePlayers evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.PeacePlayers Brooklyn Director, PeacePlayers United States