Established in 2001, PeacePlayers is a peacebuilding nonprofit organization that uses sport as a vehicle to unite, educate and inspire young people living in divided communities around the world. Based on the premise that “children who play together can learn to live together,” PeacePlayers has become a worldwide leader in the use of sport to build a more peaceful world, reaching more than 75,000 youth in 15 countries.
By offering equitable basketball programming, peace education, leadership development and professional training, PeacePlayers challenges the status quo of hatred and fear that grips societies in conflict – making cross-community cooperation desirable and giving young people practical skills to deal with conflict and grow into ambassadors for peace in their communities. The organization operates year-round programs in the Middle East, South Africa, Northern Ireland and Cyprus, internationally and Baltimore, MD, Brooklyn, NY, Chicago, IL, Detroit, MI and Los Angeles, CA in the United States.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
In January of 2017, PeacePlayers launched a new partnership with Nike to bring PeacePlayers proven model of uniting communities through sport to the U.S. This partnership will help mobilize young people across the United States who will show that if you can play together, you can live together.
PeacePlayers Baltimore will be bringing on interns to directly support the Project Coordinator and coaches as they run sport-based community programming in Baltimore. The interns will work approximately 15-20 hours per week and report directly to the PeacePlayers Baltimore Project Coordinator.
Key responsibilities and specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the implementation of all Baltimore programming; including weekly leadership and basketball sessions, peace education sessions, community service projects, virtual learning, partnership meetings, and field trips etc.
- Assist with the development of weekly life skills curriculum sessions as well as the development of innovative & creative online virtual curriculum.
- Assist with the recruiting and retention of PeacePlayers participants.
- Support implementation of neighborhood and city-based events.
- Assist with the coordination of trainings and workshops for the local network.
- Collect necessary data, testimonials and other information to assess project success.
- Participate in training sessions on topics such as Sports Based Youth Development, How to Build Great Teams and Leaning Into Our Core Values.
- Maintain good attendance and punctuality.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing a degree in a field that focuses on youth development, psychology or sports management.
- Clear understanding of how sports and recreation can be used to teach life skills and create social change.
- Interest in obtaining knowledge of and/or experience in sport-based youth development philosophy.
- Personal athletic experience at the high school or collegiate level (preferred).
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to deliver clear and effective messages to a variety of partners.
- Ability to work independently and effectively.
- Passion for basketball and conflict resolution (preferred).
GOALS FOR INTERNS AFTER COMPLETION OF INTERNSHIP
- Master technical skills that are essential in creating, planning and facilitating youth development programming.
- Gain essential background knowledge in youth development and sports management from a planning and implementation perspective.
- Build a network of contacts in the sports industry.
- Learn some of the barriers and obstacles of working with youth and how to overcome them.
- Learn how to develop curriculum that aligns with an organization’s mission.
To apply for this internship position, please email a resume and cover letter to Chineze Nwagbo at email@example.com with the subject header “Project Coordinator Internship- Baltimore.”Project Coordinator Intern – Baltimore